Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How I became a Quilter - Part I


I became a quilter somewhere around the end of 2000 or beginning of 2001. It was this quilt on Simply Quilts that inspired me. Oh I had made a handful of quilts before but this quilt was different. This quilt changed my life.

I used to watch Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts every morning at 5:30am, before I got up and started my day. Every day I would say to myself, "That looks fun (or pretty, easy, whatever)." But none of them really made me want to pull out the old sewing machine and make a trip to the fabric store. Until I saw this quilt.

Of course I didn't write down all the instructions so I had to look it up on the internet. I found the episode on HGTV and printed the directions. Then I spotted a link to Host Bio, which lead me to Alex's own website. It was amazing. (I was a web surfing noob too). Back then Alex's site included a message board. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I actually bothered to check it out. My experience with message boards was that they were pretty boring.

Boy was I wrong. . . . . .

2 comments:

Mar said...

It's been quite an amazing journey with so many wonderful friends to share our addiction with! xoxo

Deb Silva said...

I have to echo Mar's sentiment. Lots of ups and downs, but ahhhh some wonderful friends as a result.